Policies of Graduate School [ Doctoral Program ]
Ⅰ．Goals of our education
The goal of the Graduate School of Sport and Health Science is to cultivate and nurture talented human resources with theoretical and practical capabilities based on advanced expertise in the field of sport and health science endowed with an abundance of humanity and leadership qualities and who are capable of contributing to social development. In addition, the Doctoral Program in Sport and Health Science aims to realize advanced research accomplishments in the field of sport and health science and link these accomplishments to practical applications and to produce researchers capable of demonstrating leadership qualities on undertakings such as research projects.
In order to contribute to social development through comprehensive academic education and research based on fundamental grounding in sport and health science, we are looking for human resources with an academic interest in the areas below and who have a desire to return to society the knowledge they have acquired over a broad spectrum.
- Those with sound knowledge and basic research skills relating to sport and health science
- Those possessing a desire to open up new academic and combined fields and to put the results of research into practice and advance creative research.
In order to achieve the goal of education of human resources on the Doctoral Program in Sport and Health Science, we offer a curriculum based on the basic concepts below. In particular, with “guidance on organized and systematic research” and “coordination between research projects and social networks” as the basic concepts, it is our goal to upgrade the research capabilities of our graduate school students and produce human resources endowed with research skills linked to the unique characteristics of our curriculum.
(1) One Major Course
In order to explore the field of sport and health science from a comprehensive interdisciplinary approach, a single major, the “Sport and Health Science Course” is offered.
(2) Education and Research through Linkage with Research Activities and Corporate and Regional-based Social Linkage
Research is expanded with linkage to social networks, diverse research projects and BKC life science education and learning.
(3) Education and Research through Theory and Practical Application
Research is expanded not only through theory, but also through “practical application” by the use of cooperative programs that take advantage of the unique characteristics of the BKC such as links to cooperative social programs as well as other graduate courses and college sports and utilization of the latest facilities and equipment.
(4) International Education and Research
International research activities and joint research are promoted through the use of international networks.
(5) Linkage with the "Graduate Student Career Path Support Center"
Support is provided for career development in collaboration and cooperation with the “Graduate Student Career Path Support Center”.
The goal of the Doctoral Program in Sport and Health Science is to realize advanced research accomplishments and tie those accomplishments to practical applications and to nurture researchers capable of demonstrating leadership qualities during undertakings such as research projects. In addition to this, with the aim of cultivating specialized professionals not only capable of conducting analytical research in conventional specialized and divided fields of research, but also possessing the skills required to pioneer new academic and combined fields and promote creative research, we have determined that graduating students should have acquired the following skills and capabilities.
We consider that a student has acquired these abilities and skills when he or she has earned the credits prescribed by the graduate school, has passed the thesis examination and been awarded a doctoral degree in sport and health science.
- To have highly specialized, advanced “practical abilities” and “research abilities” and to be able to consistently disseminate the results of research not only within Japan, but on the international stage. In addition, to be capable of making broad-based proposals to society from his own knowledge and expertise by means of domestic and international academic and scientific journals
- To possess “leadership qualities” and “coaching skills”
- To possess reliable specialized knowledge in the field and be able to design and promote higher-quality research independently.