Ritsumeikan University Academic Information Facilities Rules of Use (Extract)
1.Pursuant to Article 7 of the Ritsumeikan University Academic Information Facilities Administration and Management Regulations（「立命館大学学術情報施設管理運営規程」）(hereinafter, "the Administration and Management Regulations"), these Rules prescribe necessary matters concerning the use of the academic information facilities stipulated in Article 2 of the same (hereinafter, "academic information facilities") in order to facilitate the management of the said facilities.
Eligibility of users
2.Persons who may use academic information facilities (hereinafter, "users") are prescribed in Article 3 of the Administration and Management Regulations. However, use by users prescribed in paragraph 2 of the said Article shall, notwithstanding these Rules, be governed by the Sub-Regulations on Use of Ritsumeikan University Academic Information Facilities by the General Public （「立命館大学学術情報施設の一般市民等の利用に関する取扱い内規」）.
Hours of operation and holidays
3. Hours of operation and holidays shall be governed by the Standards for Hours of Operation of Ritsumeikan University Academic Information Facilities（「立命館大学学術情報施設開館日程編成基準」）.
However, use outside the hours of operation shall be governed by the Sub-Regulations on Use of Ritsumeikan University Academic Information Facilities by the General Public.
BLibrary user card
4.Users may use an identification card issued by the University as a library user card.
- The Director of the Library may issue special Library Cards to users prescribed in clauses 3 through 7 of paragraph 1 and in paragraph 2 of Article 3 of the Administration and Management Regulations. Use of such Library Cards shall be prescribed in the Detailed Regulations for the Enforcement of the Ritsumeikan University Academic Information Facilities Rules of Use (hereinafter, the "Detailed Regulations").
- Users may use identification cards issued by authorities other than the University as library user cards, pursuant to the provisions of mutual use agreements with other university libraries, etc.
- Users must not lend their library user cards to any other person.
5.Users must display their library user card to a staff member when entering academic information facilities.
6.Users may freely browse the academic materials held by academic information facilities.
- Users wishing to browse academic materials in library stack rooms, etc. must follow the procedures stipulated in the Detailed Regulations.
- Users must return academic materials to their designated place after use.
7.Users may borrow academic materials.
- Persons wishing to borrow academic materials must follow the procedures stipulated in the Detailed Regulations.
- Persons who have borrowed academic materials must not loan them to any other person.
- Persons who have borrowed academic materials must return the materials immediately in the event that they lose their eligibility under Article 3 of the Administration and Management Regulations.
- Persons taking leave of absence from work or study abroad for periods of more than six months must cooperate with staff in the storage and use of academic materials they have borrowed.
- Academic materials specified as for use within the library only may not be borrowed. However, this shall not apply in cases specially approved by the Library Director.
Eligibility to borrow, borrowing limits, reminders
8.The numbers of and loan periods for materials borrowed from academic information facilities are set forth in Annexure 1. Annexure 1 also applies to users under paragraph 2, Article 3 of the Administration and Management Regulations.
- The numbers and loan periods prescribed in the preceding paragraph may be varied if considered necessary by the Library Director.
- The Library Director shall, pursuant to the provisions of the Detailed Regulations, issue reminders to users who have failed to return a borrowed material by end of the loan period (the "due date").
- Users who have failed to return a borrowed material by the due date shall have their rights to borrow any other academic materials suspended until the borrowed material is returned.
- The period of suspension of borrowing rights for users who fail to return borrowed materials by the due date are set forth in Annexure 2, corresponding with the duration of the failure to return.
Reserving and ordering academic materials
9.Users wishing to view or borrow an academic material currently on loan to another user may make a browsing or borrowing reservation pursuant to procedures prescribed in the Detailed Regulations.
- In the event that an academic material already borrowed for a period in excess of one month is reserved by another user, the user currently borrowing the said material must return it promptly. (Hereinafter referred to as the "recall system")
- Users borrowing an academic material using the recall system must return it in 14 days or less.
- If a user wishes to browse or borrow a material held at an academic information facility located on a different campus, the material may be procured pursuant to the provisions of the Detailed Regulations.
10.Users may renew their loan of a material up to two times, provided the material in question is not subject to a browsing or borrowing reservation under the preceding article. However, "Faculty and Staff A" prescribed in Annexure 1 may renew may renew their loan of a material up to two times, provided the material in question is not subject to a browsing or borrowing reservation under the preceding article.
- Loan renewals may be suspended if considered necessary by the Library Director.
11.SUsers may access services prescribed in inter-library usage agreements.
- Users prescribed in clause 6, paragraph 1 of Article 3 of the Administration and Management Regulations may access services prescribed in inter-library usage agreements to the extent that such access does not impede education and research at the University.
- The preceding paragraph shall apply correspondingly to inter-library usage with university libraries and other facilities with which inter-library usage agreements have not been concluded.
- Persons wishing to access inter-library usage services must complete the procedures prescribed in the Detailed Regulations.
- In the event that a charge is incurred for inter-library usage, the charge shall be borne by the user.
12. TUsers may request the provision of surveys and information pertaining to academic matters, provided such requests are made for learning, educational, or research purposes.
Use of rare materials
13.The use of rare materials shall be governed by the Sub-Regulations on Administration and Browsing of Rare Materials Collections（「貴重書庫管理及び閲覧内規」）.
Use of audio-visual materials
14.Users may use audio-visual materials within the scope prescribed by copyright law. In the event that there is no legal impediment to borrowing such materials, they may be borrowed as set forth in Annexure 3.
15.Users may copy academic materials held in academic information facilities within the scope prescribed by copyright law.
- Persons wishing to copy materials must complete the procedures prescribed in the Detailed Regulations.
- Persons wishing to copy materials shall pay the fee prescribed in the Detailed Regulations, and bear complete responsibility for any problems arising from infringement of copyright and/or other rights.
- The Library Director may withhold permission for copying on grounds including the condition of the material in question.
Special purpose rooms
16.Necessary matters concerning the use of special purpose rooms shall be prescribed in the Detailed Regulations.
17.When using academic information facilities, users must comply with the directions of staff members and uphold public order and morality.
- Users must carry their library user card with them at all times, and produce the card when requested by staff members.
Responsibility for Compensation or Reparation
18.Users causing damage to or losing academic materials held by academic information facilities must provide compensation or reparation pursuant to the Ritsumeikan University Sub-Regulations on Compensation of Materials Held in Academic Information Facilities （「立命館大学学術情報施設資料弁済内規」）.
- Users causing damage to fixtures, devices or equipment in academic information facilities must provide compensation or reparation either materially or to the equivalent monetary value.
Prohibitions on use, etc.
19.The Library Director may impose prohibitions on use of academic information facilities and/or other educational measures on users contravening these Rules.
20.Matters not provided for in these Rules or the Detailed Regulations shall be stipulated by the Library Director following deliberation by the Library Committee.
21.Amendment and abolition of these Rules shall be determined by the Executive Board of Trustees following deliberation by the Library Committee.
Annexure 1: Numbers of items and loan periods
|Undergraduate degree student||20 items,
|Undergraduate auditing student|
|Graduate degree student||100 items,
|Graduate non-degree student|
|Special user A
(graduate school part-time lecturer, etc.)
|Faculty and staff A||Full faculty member||200 items,
|Adjunct faculty member|
|Faculty and staff B||Full administrative staff member||20 items,
|Junior/senior high school teacher|
|Junior/senior high school part-time teacher|
|Retired permanent faculty and staff members|
|Others||Affiliated school student||3 items,
|Special user B
(casual administrative support staff, etc.)
|General public A
|General public B
- The number of days in a loan period is counted from the day after the item is borrowed.
- If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, public holiday or library holiday, the item shall be due on the next day the library is open.
Annexure 2. Suspension of borrowing rights
|Application||Number of days overdue||Suspension period|
|Undergraduate students, graduate students / part-time lecturers
(undergraduate and graduate school),
Faculty and staff B, and Others as set forth in Annexure 1
|30 days or less||A period equal to the number of days overdue|
|More than 30 days||30 days|
Annexure 3 Use of audio-visual materials
|Eligibility||Materials for loan||Loan conditions|
|All users set forth in Annexure 1||DVDs, videotapes, cassette tapes, and other audio-visual materials||7 days, 3 items
(counted in the number of items set forth in Annexure 1)