- Ph.D. in System Engineering (Keio University)
- Field of Research
- Air Transportation
- Aerospace Management
- Space Systems
- Technology and Innovation Management
- System Dynamics
- Product and Service Design
- Theme of Research
- Aersopace system design and management for futuristic air/space transport innovation
System design methodology for developing innovative products and services
System dynamics modeling and simulation for socio-technical systems
Foresight process innovation using advanced information technology
After being involved in space development projects at Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), Professor Minato studied aerospace management at the Ecole Superieure de Commece de Toulouse (ESTC) and involved in aircraft marketing practices at Avion de Transport Reginal (ATR), Toulouse, France. Currently, he focuses more on technology and innovation management studies so as to analyze the future potential of cutting-edge science and technology beyond the domains of aerospace. He uses systems approach to design innovative, feasible and sustainable solutions for socio-technical systems. He is carrying a leadership development program as well on Space Flight Resource Management (SFRM), which is originated from NASA’s astronaut trainings. He has been received several international prizes; the French Aeronautics and Space Industry Award from Groupement des industries françaises aéronautiques et spatiales (GIFAS), France, in 2006, the Best Paper Award from International Forum on Shipping, Ports and Airports (IFSPA) in 2015 and the Academic Society Award from Japan Association for Management Science (JAMS) in 2016. He has been serving as a technical advisor for Technology Strategy Center, New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) since 2018. He is a visiting researcher at National University of Singapore (NUS) and a visiting researcher at Fraunhofer-Geselschaft, Germany, from 2019 to 2020.
- Minato, N. et al. (2017). Evolutionary Processes Analysis on Cyber Physical System Concept in Aeronautical Industry, The Journal of Science Policy and Research Management, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp.293-308.
- Minato, N. (2017). Symbiotic management of regional air transport with airway securitization. Journal of Japan Association of Management Systems. Vol.34, No.2, pp.177-184.
- Minato, N. (2016). Why Does a Company Fail to Manage a Corporate Scandal? International Journal of Japan Association for Management Systems. Volume 8, No.1, pp. 17-26.
- Minato, N., Morimoto, R. (2016). Dynamically interdependent business model for airline–airport coexistence. Journal of Air Transport Management. Volume 64, Part B, pp. 161-172.
- Minato, N. (2015). Socio-economic Impact Evaluation Model for Futuristic Aerospace R&D Project. Japanese Journal of System Dynamics. Volume 13,pp.1-16.
- Minato, N. (2013). Integrated methodology for business model design and evaluation using Business Model Canvas and System Dynamics. Japanese Journal of System Dynamics. Volume 12, pp.41-56.
- Minato, N., Morimoto, R. (2012). Collaborative management of regional air transport during natural disasters: Case of the 2011 East Japan earthquake and tsunami. Research in Transport Business and Management. Research in Transport Business and Management.Volume.4, pp.13-21.
- Minato, N., Morimoto, R. (2011). Designing commercial sustainability of unprofitable regional airport using system dynamics analysis. Research in Transport Business and Management. Volume 1, Issue 1, pp.80-90.
- Minato, N., Morimoto, R. (2011). Sustainable airline strategy using portfolio theory: A case study of remote island in Japan. Journal of Air Transport Management. Volume 17, Issue 3, pp.195-198.
Affiliation with Academic Associations
- Technical Advisor, Technology Strategy Center, New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) Executive Director (Research),
- Japan System Dynamics Society (JSD)
- Councilor, Japan Association for Management Science (JAMS)
- The International Society for Professional Innovation Management (ISPIM)
- Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology（PICMET）
- System Dynamics Society (SDS)
- Academy of Management (AOM)
- Air Transport Research Society (ATRS)
- Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences (JSASS)
- French Aeronautics and Space Industry Award, Groupement des industries françaises aéronautiques et spatiales (GIFAS), 2006
- Best Paper Award, International Forum on Shipping, Ports and Airports (IFSPA), 2015
- Academic Society Award, Japan Association for Management Science (JAMS), 2016