Do you have Spring/Fall semester admission?

Yes, we have two admission periods.

Can I apply even if my major is different from International Relations?

You can apply for the program with a degree from a different field. The Graduate School of International Relations welcomes and accepts competent applicants from a wide range of fields, however, you must have the basic knowledge and background necessary to carry out your research.

Can I apply for the Regular Admissions (Document screening) even if I live in Japan?

Yes. Both applicants reside in and outside of Japan are eligible to apply.

What are the application requirements?

Requirements deffer based on the type of admission.

I live outside of Japan and cannot participate in the interview in person. Can I participate online?

Basically, we do not conduct interviews online.

What are the screening procedures?

There are two type of screening for Master's program.
Document-only and Document + Interview

I don't know if I am eligible to apply.

Please check the eligibility requirements in the application guidelines first. If you are still unsure, individual screening is available. Please refer to "Individual Preliminary screening" in the application guidelines.

I would like to apply for a Monbukagakusho(MEXT) scholarship through the Japanese embassy. What is the procedure?
  1. All applicants should first contact their local Japanese embassy/ consulate for the most up-to-date information and details. We university cannot assis you until after you have passed the embassy/ consulate's primary screening.
  2. After passing the primary screening, visit our MEXT Embassy Recommendation Shcolarship-based Admissions page and follow the instruction. (

For inquiries, please contact Ritsumeikan University International Center:

How should I determine my propective academic advisor?
Where can I find out which professors are available for research supervision?

Please consider your academic advisor in your field of study through their writings, articles, websites, etc.

Do I need to contact my prospective academic advisor before applying?

It is not required to the applicants applying for Master's program.
Applicants for Doctoral program are encouraged to discuss their research interests before application period begins.

Application documents

I have sent my application documents. Will you send me a confirmation of receipt after they arrive?

We do not send individual confirmation of receipt. Please confirm it by using the tracking number, contact number, etc.

I have sent my application documents by post, but you may not receive them by the deadline. Can you accept them?

We will accept the documents postmarked by the last day of the application period. Please submit a PDF data of your application documents along with an invoice showing that it was sent within the period to

Do I have to send the original certificates/documents for my application?

Yes. Originals of certain documents, such as academic transcript/certificate of graduation, are required.

Is it possible to send a photocopy of certificates/ documents instead of the originals?

Photocopies of certificates/ documents will not be accepted. If only a photocopy is available, please request an authentication to the university/issuing institution where it was issued. Documents with official seals, signatures, etc. may be accepted in lieu of originals.

Do you accept certificates, transcripts, etc. mailed directly from the university?

Yes. Documents sent directly from the university can also be accepted by postal mail and email to

I only have digital data of graduation certificates, transcripts, etc. Do you accept printed version of them?

Printed data will not be accepted. We will accept the following alternatives.

  • Verified copy by the university
  • Digital copy sent directly from the university during the application period
  • Digital credentials platform
My academic transcript shows the date of my degree conferral. Can it be substituted for certificate of graduation?

Yes. We will accept the document as an academic transcript and a certificate of graduation.

Where can I find application formats that I can type in?

Please download the forms from Application Forms page.

If I have applied in the past and am re-applying, do I need to resubmit all of my application materials?

Yes. The documents you've submitted in the past are valid only for that exam.

What is the character count for Research Proposals and Essay?

What is the character count for Research Proposals and Essay?

Can I have my application returned?

Submitted documents will not be returned under any circumstances.

Certificate of language ability

I graduated from university/graduate school in English-speaking country. Do I need to submit a test score of English?

Submission of an official certificate of English language proficiency is waived if you have completed or are expected to complete an undergraduate/graduate program in the listed countries.

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, U.K. and U.S.A.

I studied in English at university/graduate school. Do I need to submit a test score of English?

Submission of an official certificate of English language proficiency is waived if you have completed/ expected to complete an undergraduate/graduate program where English is the official language of instruction. In such case, an official university document certifying this is required.

What is the minimum score required on the English test?

There is no minimum score required as they are submitted for reference in the screening process.

Is TOEFL iBT® Home Edition score accepted?

Yes, it is acceptable.

What is the Institution Code for sending Official Score Reports?

We will not accept score reports sent directly from testing organizations.

I will apply to the English-based program. Do I need Japanese language ability?

Applicants for the English-based program are not required to have Japanese language ability.

Tuition / scholarship

Where can I find information about tuition/ scholarships?

Please refer to the Tuition, Fees&Financial Aid page.

How can I apply to the tuition reduction scholarship/ SEISEKI-YUSYUSHA Scholarship?

Both scholarship recipients are selected based on their performance on the entrance examination, so applicants do not need to apply for this scholarship.


What should I do if my mailing address changes after submitting my application?

Please contact us at the following e-mail address.

How do I get a student visa?

You will have all the required information after your acceptance is confirmed.

Do you have a summer semester?

No, we do not have a summer semester.